Want to remove that pesky sidebar on your WordPress website? No problem. It turns out that there are two easy ways to make that happen. In this article, I'll show you both of them.
Don't forget to check out our WordPress basics guide for the best tips and tricks.
Whether you want to remove the sidebar from your posts or pages, the process is very similar. To remove the sidebar from all of your posts and pages, follow these steps:
Warning: You are removing the sidebar sub items forever, so make sure that you never want to have these in your sidebar again.
- In the WordPress panel, go to "Appearance", then "Widgets"
- In the Widgets screen, you should see a "Main Sidebar" as well as a "Pages Sidebar" on the right side
- Expand the "Main Sidebar" box by clicking on the down arrow in the upper right corner of its box
- Now click on each sub block inside "Main Sidebar", and then at the bottom of the expanded sub blocks, click "Delete" to remove it
- Do this for each sub block until there are none left
- Repeat this process for the "Pages Sidebar" box until there are no sub blocks left
If you want to keep the sidebar, and only remove it for individual posts or pages, then you can follow these steps:
- In the WordPress panel, go to the specific post or page that you want to edit
- In the Post/Page settings screen, scroll to the bottom and look for your specific Theme options that you have installed
- In your themes options box, there should be a "Template" drop down box, so select "Full Width"
- If you don't see a template drop down box in your theme options box, then look on the right side of the settings screen for this setting as it normally appears in the "Page Attributes" section
- Update the post or page
Another neat thing to do is changing your home page. Check out how to change the home page in WordPress next.